Progress

Saturday, February 7, 2015
I was going to post about something that happened yesterday, but I'm deciding to post something happy today.

I subscribed to newspaper.com or something like that that allows you to read old newspaper articles from way, way back.

Newspapers from the 1800's and early 1900's are so different than they are today. Whereas most of our newspapers focus on negative news, many newspapers back then had a lot of articles that many would consider "trivial" today.

One thing that stood out was the focus on social activities. "Miss Ford visited the home of Mr. And Mrs. Frosty on Sunday, and delighted the hosts with a wonderful rendition of "Spanish Eyes," on the grand piano in the parlor. Tea and crumpets were served, and Mrs. Frosty brought out her best lace doilies for the occasion." Those kind of articles littered the newspapers back then.

Today's equivalent is this: "MILEY CYRUS SPOTTED SNEAKING INTO JUSTIN BIEBER'S WINDOW AT MIDNIGHT! Our photographer was there to catch the couple yanking each other's clothes off by Bieber's 20,000 square foot swimming pool. For the inside scoop, subscribe to our online magazine for just $29.99 per month."

Oh, and check out this cute snippet:


Things were simpler back then, and while I enjoy the comforts and technology of today, I often yearn for a simpler time when everything was about tea and crumpets. Or in my case, Coke Zero and cookies. And Poptarts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your much appreciated comment here....